10 Great Things About Working with Small Animals
For many people when they hear that you work with animals the first thing they say is, “Aww, you work with puppies and kitties all day?” We often cringe when we hear that, or laugh it off knowing our jobs are so much more that baby balls of fur. In fact, working with small animals is not only physically challenging it is also mentally and emotionally. Regardless of all of the highs and lows, working with small animals is the best job there is, and we have proof.
- Helping small animals feel good, feels good. Dogs, cats, birds, and pocket pets have poor vocabularies. They can’t tell us what hurts or why. Uncovering their diagnosis and interpreting their behaviour is the only way we can communicate. When we watch them go from droopy eyes to wagging tails we know we did a good deed. These wins can last us a lifetime.
- Our skills sets are diverse. Human doctors have to learn how to treat one species; humans. Veterinarians and their staff are responsible for every other mammal, reptile, avian, and any other species of animal that someone has decided to care for. While many of these critters have similarities, they also have difference that can result in serious consequences if the wrong medication or doses of medicine are used. It’s our job to learn as much as we can about as many animals as we can to be great at our jobs.
- We get to be a part of cutting edge science. Veterinary medicine at its heart is a science. Research studies and tests are always occurring as we perfect what we know about anatomy and physiology. Journals are always publishing new treatment protocols and ways to make the care we give better than it has ever been. Being in the thick of the medicine and watching as science cures disease and provides a better quality of life for our patience makes working with animals feel like the most important job on the planet.
- Puppies and Kittens. It’s true, every now and again we do get to simply play with puppies and kitties. Granted these days are few and far in-between, but there are fewer things in this world that are better than their little faces.
- Sure, most of us get into the veterinary field because we love animals. It only takes a short period of working in the trenches to learn our job is also about people. It’s people who spend every day with their pets that alert you when something isn’t quite right with them. It’s the people who pay the bills and will be responsible for giving them their meds. This is why our job is to take care of the people as much as it is to care for their pets. We educate and guide them so they can give the best life possible to their companions. The look of relief and job when they see their pets well makes the job that much better.
- We are a tight knit bunch. We spend 40+ hours a week with our team members. They hug us when we’ve lost a patient. They run to grab us food when we are too busy to eat. They trade shifts with us when we need time off. They understand better than anyone else how hard and wonderful the job can be. It’s not uncommon to build a relationship with co-worker that will last a lifetime.
- Every day is unique. It doesn’t matter if you work in a vaccine clinic, small animal hospital, or specialty hospital, every day is completely new. Getting bored while working in a veterinary hospital is rare (and usually happens in the dead of winter). Everyday there are new challenges and opportunities to flex our muscles.
- Opportunity for growth. It doesn’t matter if you are a kennel assistant or a seasoned certified vet tech there are always opportunities to improve your skills. Each of these allow us to get better at taking care of the animals we treat and invigorate us.
- It’s the best way to add fur babies to your pack. It’s true, if you love animals and want to work with them, you will probably be bringing home a few of those critters.
- We can’t imagine doing anything else. At the end of the day we know that our lives would be so much less rewarding if we didn’t care for the animals. Through the good and the bad we don’t regret a minute. We know that we are making a difference in the lives of the animals we care for and the people who love them.
Working with small animals is one of the hardest and most rewarding jobs there is. If you are ready to start a career in a growing industry with lots of opportunities to feel good take a look at our job listings.
What are some more reasons why working with small animals is so great? Leave your thoughts in the comments section.
Here at Vet & Pet Jobs, our listings of Veterinarian jobs, Vet Technician jobs, Vet Nurse jobs, Vet Hospital Manager jobs and Relief Vet Locum jobs in the USA makes the process of Vet Job hunting fast and easy. And for Pet Care professionals our listings of Pet Retail jobs, Pet Management jobs and Pet Marketing and Sales jobs make it easy to pursue your passion for working with pets and animals.
Before you know it you’ll be starting a new job in an exciting Vet Hospital, Vet Clinic or in Pet Retail, and it all starts with a click.
And for Veterinary Hospitals, Vet Clinics and Pet Companies, post your Ad for Veterinarians, Vet Technicians, Vet Hospital Managers, Pet Retail, Management and Marketers and more. Find the best candidates and grow your professional team. Register and post your Job Ad today.